Join us on Thursday, November 15 from 7:00 to 10:00pm
Arts at the Armory
191 Highland Ave. Somerville, MA
The party features a catered light local dinner from Fresh Food Generation & drinks, silent auction, live music, awards ceremony & more!
Niaz Dorry is the featured keynote speaker and special guest emcee, WBUR's Robin Young.
The Fish, Food and Allied Workers Union (FFAW-Unifor) represents approximately 15,000 working women and men throughout Newfoundland and Labrador, most of whom are employed in the fishing industry. They also have members working in the hotel, hospitality, brewing, metal fabrication, and oil industries.
NAMA's Brett Tolley will be speaking at this year's convention to discuss protecting and promoting the inshore fishery. Read more about FFAW here.
Founded in 2016, Food Loves Tech is a first-of-its-kind education by entertainment innovation expo, focusing on how technology shapes and changes the way we cultivate and consume food. We even reach beyond digital products to embrace new and alternative ingredients, best practices, sustainability, composting, and shifts back toward more simplistic approaches.
NAMA Community Organizer Julianna Fischer will be speaking on a panel titled, "Can Tech Help Save Our Oceans?" Tickets are available here.
It takes a region to cultivate a transformative food system that is in right relationship to people, place, and planet.
Get to know more about this year's theme - Cultivating a Transformative Food System - and the incredible plenary speakers who will be sharing their stories and solutions. Don't miss visionaries like Charlyn Griffith, Niaz Dorry, Leah Penniman, Lan Dinh, Neftali Duran, Brandy Brooks, and more!
Learn more and register here.
As a member of the hosting committee, NAMA invites you to join us in celebrating Grassroots International's 35 years of Resistance, Resilience and Power!
The 35th Anniversary celebration will feature:
- Global movement leaders – those on the frontline of challenging the root causes of injustice and creating alternative systems to “live well”
- International feminisms, including US organizations connecting across borders
- Updates on the impact and vision of Grassroots International
- Gorgeous views of the Boston Harbor with delicious food and cash bar
- Grooving music from Zili Misik
- And much more!
Schedule of events:
- 4:30 – 6:00 PM: Pre-event panel with Global Partners (free and open to the public)
- 6:00 – 7:00 PM: Registration, hors d’oeuvres and reception
- 7:00 – 10:00 PM: Program followed by dancing!
Honorary Host Co-chairs (partial list):
- Naomi Klein – Journalist and author
- Elizabeth Mpofu – General Coordinator of La Via Campesina and founding member of Zimbabwe Smallholder Organic Farmers Forum
- Nancy Murray – Human rights leader and Palestine activist
- Graça Samo – International Coordinator of the World March of Women
- Robert Zevin – Leader in socially responsible investment, activist and social change advocate
Honorary Host Committee members include:
- Angela Adrar (Climate Justice Alliance)
- Edie Allen
- Medea Benjamin (Code Pink)
- Mark Bittman (Author, food columnist)
- Nancy Braus and Richard Geidel
- José Toscano Bravo (Just Transition Alliance)
- Niaz Dorry (Northwest Atlantic Marine Alliance)
- Jason Franklin
- Hayat Imam (Dorchester People for Peace)
- Kate Kroeger (Urgent Action Fund)
- Solome Lemma (Thousand Currents)
- Micky McKinley (Solidaire)
- Howard Mechanic
- Terry Odendahl (Global Greengrants Fund)
- Amelie Ratliff
- Alice Rothchild and Dan Klein
- Opal Tometi (Black Organizing for Leadership and Development)
- Gina Athena Ulysse
- Cindy Wiesner (Grassroots Global Justice Alliance)
Seafood Throwdown at MOFGA's
Common Ground Country Fair!
Fisherman: Tim Rider
Chefs: Ali Waks Adams & Frank Giglio
Judges: Krista Desjarlais & Chris Elliot
Ali Waks Adams Ali Waks Adams is the Executive Chef at The Brunswick where she serves dinner to the public every Tuesday night at Plat Du Jour, featuring a 3 course prix fixe menu of local, sustainable fare, in addition to spearheading their catering and event department. Ali works closely with the Manomet Center on culinary solutions to the green crab invasion. She is a founding partner of Butter+Salt Pop Up, and can be frequently be found behind the stove at The Robinhood Free Meeting House, where she is currently working on 2019 Sea the Future dinner, highlighting underfished and invasive seafood.
Frank Giglio Frank Giglio is chef and owner of Three Lily Provisions, a family business that focuses on small event catering, education, and value added products sourced from their 26 acre farm. Having grown up along the Connecticut shoreline, Frank’s passion for fresh seafood blossomed at a young age. Now residing in midcoast Maine, Frank and his family spend lots of time along the northern coast swimming, fishing and foraging.
Krista Kern Desjarlais Krista is chef and owner of The Purple House in North Yarmouth and Bresca & the Honey Bee in New Gloucester. She has worked in the restaurant industry for more than 35 years, holding every position from dishwasher to executive chef to owner. In that time, she has been involved in opening 10 major restaurants in NYC, Connecticut, Aspen, Maine, Boston and Las Vegas.