The Boston Local Food Festival is an event that draws 40,000 people. Its all about food, and we are smack dab in the middle of it with our Seafood Throwdown & a Crab Picking/Tasting Demo! This year we are focusing on Women in Fisheries and Food Systems. The Dream Teams are made up of women who fish and are part of the food system. They are Women of Fishing Families out of Chatham MA vs. Women of New England Fish Mongers out of Dover, NH. You don’t want to miss this one, Great Gals, Great Cooking, and Great Stories to be told! Each Team will be bringing their own catch of that underutilized, under-loved species. They will introduce to you their Mystery Seafood, then given $25 and 15 minutes to go shopping for local produce from the farm vendors at the festival. As they are preparing their dishes you will get a play by play from the Emcee Laurie Lufkin, an award winning contest cook and cooking show host from Essex, MA. She will keep you abreast of what the chefs are doing, along with hearing from the Judges Panel which is compiled of 5 Women Authors:
- Diana Rodgers is a Massachusetts-based farmer, nutritionist and author of Homegrown Paleo Cookbook;
- Hallie Baker a chocolatier owner of Turtle Alley Chocolates in Gloucester and Salem MA, and author of Turtle Truffle Bark!;
- Heather Atwood food writer of Gloucester Daily Times and author of In Cod We Trust;
- Ali Berlow publisher of Edible Vineyard and author of Food Activist Handbook; and,
- Leigh Belanger author of Boston Homegrown Cookbook.
Plus an extra added feature immediately after the throwdown! A Crab Picking/Tasting Demo. Stay and learn about theJonah Crab, and the women who pull this in everyday with their catch. Meet CHIX WHO FISH and watch the transformation from sea to kitchen; creating a mouth watering treat to pleasure your senses.
With this All Women Seafood Throwdown you’re in for a treat, come spend Sunday afternoon September 20th with us at the Boston Local Food Festival, sure to be pleased!
See you there…